Fauna & Flora International’s Coastal & Marine Conservation Project, Cambodia’s Fisheries Administration, Kuda Divers and the Song Saa Foundation are proud to be collaborating in the celebration of World Ocean’s Day “Gender & Oceans” on June 7th-8th 2019 in Koh Rong and Koh Sdach.
This will involve several events with local communities, including mangrove planting, beach clean-ups, and a guided snorkel. Through this, we hope to promote the role of gender in marine resource management, the importance of reducing marine plastic waste and how to safely handle and release sea turtles. We hope that island communities, CFi members, tourists and local authorities will be inspired through engaging with marine and ocean conservation in Cambodia.
FFI partner The Song Saa Foundation will be running a parallel event for the Prek Svay community in Koh Rong.
Koh Touch Village, Sangkat Koh Rong Sanloem, Krong Koh Rong
- 5pm-7pm: pollution and marine plastic awareness raising with children from the community
- 8am-8:30am: Registration and History of World Ocean’s Day
- 8:40am-10:45am: Beach clean at Koh Touch village, followed by reflection and Q&A
- 8:40am-11:30am: Mangrove planting at Long Seth beach (1h journey time) for 1 hour of mangrove plantation, followed by 1 hour of snorkelling nearby.
- 2pm-4pm: Sea turtle workshop with fishers and authorities
- 5pm-7pm: Marine plastics reduction workshop, video, games and Q&A with a local school.
- 8:30am-10:00am: Beach cleaning activity
- 10:00am-12:00pm: Group snorkelling activity